The caretaker period for the NSW Election commenced on 1 March 2019. Accordingly, no ministerial press releases or related information issued by the Government from 1 March 2019 will be available on this website. For copies of recently-issued ministerial press releases or information on the election policies of any political party, please go to the website of the relevant political party.

Belgenny cottages

There are two cottages in the original complex. The cottage that faces west towards the stables was built by Elizabeth Macarthur in 1815 while her husband John was in England.

In 1821 a second cottage, designed by architect Henry Kitchen, was built facing east and it became the main cottage at that time, while the west-facing cottage possibly served as a kitchen. By about 1860 the two cottages were joined by a new wing. Termite damage in the 1880s led to demolition of the east-facing cottage which was replaced about 1900 by the cottage that stands today.

Elizabeth Macarthur stayed at Belgenny Cottage on her visits to Camden and it was here that William and James Macarthur lived from 1818 until Camden Park House was completed in 1835. Their father John, who is well known for his role in the development of Australia's Merino wool industry and his association with the 'rum rebellion', died here in 1834.

Since then the cottages have been used in various ways, such as a residence for the farm manager and other employees, and as an office.

The Granary

The granary was completed in 1890 as a 'corn and implement shed' for Camden Park. Implements such as ploughs were housed on the ground floor while corn and other livestock feeds were stored above. The slatted walls provided ventilation to keep the corn dry, and tin wrapped around the shed's posts stopped rats and mice from climbing up to the grain.

In the early 1900s the men on Camden Park brought the ears of corn here in horse-drawn tip drays. The women removed the husks from the corn and then stripped the grain from the ears of corn. This was called 'husking and shelling'. Vic Boardman recalls the activities...

'they had tip drays, they'd send the men down to pull the cobs off. They'd tip it in Belgenny's there. The ladies would husk while the kids were at school, or little kids would play in the corn dust or on the dirt floor, the kids would play on the dirt and the corn husks and things. They'd shell the corn and put 'em in lofts up there'

The granary is now a function centre that is popular for wedding receptions.